Monday, May 25, 2015

ALVARO CARDONA-HINE ~





Alvaro Cardona-Hine & Barbara McCauley 

photograph by Jeane George Weigel




Childhood



the cows walk ahead of me

down a road milky

with low-lying fog



from time to time

I hear voices

above the steady pounding

of the river

then I realize

it's the song

I had thought of singing



a butterfly with two

suitcases of color

on its shoulders

bumps into me







A Witness



I come from the arms of my mother

glad to live alone

with you and you and you



everywhere I look

an odor of light

bears down hard

upon the earth



the wind from the ocean

suddenly finds itself

among the barley







Three Rivers Tie A Knot In My
Handkerchief



now the sun is on the hill

caressing the backs of the eucalypti



from my room I can hear

the cicadas above their patron saints

woodpeckers up the mountain



I laugh a little under my breath

I have fooled the priest

who expected me at confession



my growth depends exclusively

on the broth

simmering in the kitchen







New Explanation



staring at a bird in the darkness

becomes evening     evening

stresses its song     a song



how light

after being stolen

is spent on useless roads

how the wind leans on blunt instruments



large fields are often small







Passage

for Barbara



what I wanted to tell you is on the tip of my tongue

the wind will find it in your ear



it is a day of rain and sun

some patches of snow hold out under the silent pines

flower after flower blooms directly across our path




Alvaro Cardona-Hine
Lhude Sing Cuccu
Alba Books Press 2015