Monday, March 21, 2016

DAYS ALONE ~









Visitors




The river for weeks is low

Visitors arrive

Call it a creek

We know better

Say nothing



Next month in a downpour

Bridges wash out

Trees go down

Days of mud

No one visits





Walking From Town Between
Midnight and 4 A.M.





I must have carried out
Every peeper in this valley

Home with me, 13 miles
Trees shiver in light rain

The moon following the
Fences following­

A hillside of fog lies down
Generously in an apple orchard

Here is where a few sheep
Suddenly break into a run

A horse pounds the night
Meeting you at barbed wire

What is the sound between us
It is water that has brought me back




Winter


Just before supper
I watched a storm draw in
Taking light
The trees toss
No matter
I have finished carrying
Elm from the edge of the woods
Bucked, split then stacked
I am done
Well used
Come snow
 


______________ 


Bob Arnold
Where Rivers Meet
Mad River Press