Thursday, February 23, 2017

BILL KNOTT ~






FARRAR, 2017


THE ALONE TONIGHT




I don't want to live with the alone tonight

Stay lost at home on my own tonight

But if I leave and go down to the street

The roads all throw their crosses at my feet

And words out loud the crowds all yell me

I don't want to die I hear them all tell me

And when their throats fall quotably quiet

Can I stand out dope and hope my own don't deny it

All songs are the same they show my shame in kind

The words are plain the pain finds its name in mine

It's no mistake I lie awake so straight and still

The maze I cannot penetrate waits at my doorsill

I could build bridges that make the sea blink

But there's no bank to build them from here on this nearside I think

They told me sold me how to live I had to buy it

But then they made me give up my seat in the riot

I don't want to live with the alone tonight

I'd love to reign on this throne tonight

I'm the empire at home on my own tonight

Habitat zone in my headphones tonight

The poems I wrote are afraid to quote me

Out loud that shroud of yowls won't save me

I don't want to live I hear them say daily

I don't want to die so please won't you say me

I don't want to stay please won't you play me

__________________________________
B I L L      K N O T T