Tuesday, October 8, 2024

FADY JOUDAH (AGAIN) ~

 




[...]


I am unfinished business.

The business that did not finish me


or my parents

won't leave my children

in peace. In my right hand.


a paper. In my left, a feather.

To toss, to quill, to meet


my terminal velocity.

I forget Palestine


has a kind way of remembering

those who mark

it for slaughter,


and those it marks for life.

I write for the future


because my present is demolished.

I fly to the future


to retrieve my demolished present

as a legible past. To see


what isn't hard to see

in a world that doesn't.



[...]


They did not mean to kill the children.

They meant to.

Too many kids got in the way

of precisely imprecise

one-ton bombs

dropped a thousand and one times

over the children's nights.

They will not forgive the children this sin.

They wanted to save them from future sins.

Or send them wrapped lifetimes

of reconstructive

surgical hours pro bono,

mental anguish to pass down

to their offspring.

Will the children have offspring?

This is what the bomb-droppers

did not know they wanted:

to see if others will be like them

after unquantifiable suffering.

They wanted to lead

their own study, but forgot

that not all suffering worships power

after survival. What childhood does

a destroyed childhood beget?

My parents showed me the way.


________________

Fady Joudah

[...]

Milkweed Editions

2024