Saturday, October 3, 2026

JULIA ALVAREZ ~

 





First Marriage


We rented a yellow house

on the edge of a schoolyard

I could not see on

foggy winter mornings —


rolling mist, dim lights,

a honk, a muffled motor,

nothing to do but wait

for the world I knew

to be released again.


After you left for work

I'd hear the children's cries,

pleasure and pain so mixed

I couldn't tell whether

to rescue or reminisce.


Midmorning, the fog would lift:

sun shafts beamed like searchlights

through the bars of the jungle gym,

the chain-link swings, the seesaw,

the silver tongue of the slide.

On the schoolhouse windows

pilgrims and turkeys filled the panes,

then Santa and doily snowflakes.

Everywhere I read the signs.


Late afternoon, when school was out,

I'd cross the street to the empty yard

and tip the seesaw back andforth,

run my fingers down the slide,

then set to motion all the swings,

just to hear the chain links clink.



On A Hill Above Your House


Late night I search for your house

in the dark valley below.

The children's lights have long gone out,

and the lovers' yearning hands

have touched the fond familiar spots

like grazing animals at dusk

returning to the glowing barn.


You sleep alone in a darkened house.

While up at midnight, insomniac,

I wonder which might be your home

among the shadowy clumps below.

A car goes by, an unstrung light

moving along a strip of road.

Above, the mirroring autumn sky

reflects the twinkling neighborhood.


By habit I look up to wish

on the first star that I see.

But when my eye fastens on one

my mind is blank of anything

but the thought of you below

your long lean body lost in sleep.



Dream Girl


I dreamed of you making

love to a young version

of me with a younger

version of yourself,


and I wonder if our dreams

are the whims skimmed off

our richly committed hearts

or disclose our true desires?


Should we throw caution

to our dreams and wake,

youthful middle-aged lovers,

forsaking our aging partners,


existing all other loves

to rewrite them in a new hand

now that we understand

what it is to live by heart?


I don't know any answers,

but I dreamed of you touching

the tender skin of a girl

I could no longer be,


so young was she, so innocent

of these and other questions,

so quick to say love

and mean by it forever.



_____________________

Visitations

Knopf 2026